Sunday 26 January 2014

That's why I love powder

Wow. I think a truck ran over my body.

Multiple times.

Seriously.

Besides experiencing this odd phenomenon of strapping your two feet to a plank of board and propelling your body down the side of the mountain, the FALLS that you experience in this activity are just short of EPIC.

Faceplant, ass plant, arm plant, fold up, twist body slide are all the types of falls that I did over a cumulative 6 hours of snowboarding.

Wow. Am I in pain now.

This experience was part of a bet that I won( thank god cause lord knows I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise), and now I am certain about two things.
Snowboarding and snow sports are for people with money.
Snowboarding is for the fearless. I.e. you have no fear of falling nor of looking like a complete idiot while sliding squat like, arms out down a mountain.

Did I mention the falling HURTS ! If you are lucky enough you may fall in the wonderful powder of fresh snow that displaces itself with the magical grace of baby powder.

If, however, you meet that stubborn ice. God help you. That ish ain't for old people nor the old at art.

The weekend is over and it seems like it happened in a whirlwind. Nimes to Lyon St Expury (with two stops in Valence TGV and Valence Ville), then on to meet my host who rented a car from Hertz. A Two hour drive and 30 minute pitstop in Carrefour later, and we are rushing towards the equipment rental place and my 2.5 hour torture ski session where I just managed to stand up on the board upright. :s
Thank god Mercure included dinner cuz at the end I would have eaten my host I was so amazingly hungry.
We also hit up Le Brézilien, a cool club/pub/bar with lots of drunk young people , snogging by the bar (what else is there to do when you're young , its cold and there's a copious amount of liquor around).
Day 2 wasn't much better with the first 1/2 of the day being a lesson in falling...ungracefully.
But ! By after lunch and a new sense of 'you gotta stick it to win it', I spent my last 1.5 hrs going up and down the magic carpet (really cool) to perfect my snowboard/crawl/bawl whatever you want to call it.

So on my last run. I feel twice.

What a record :)

Will I try it again once I get the opportunity?

Hell yes !

Hopefully, I'll be financially secure enough to perfect this little indulgence.

It's hard being a perfectionist!

No comments:

Post a Comment