Sunday 22 September 2013

En Nimes !

I'm here !!! Finally! After more than 12 hours of train rides, pulling one very heavy suitcase and an absurdly yummy tomate et mozarella sandwich from Paul. I am here.

Nimes is beautiful. And Warm. Can a girl ask for more ? It's sunny and bright and a wonderfully, baskable 27 degrees C and it will be like that all week.

After leaving my aunt and uncle's house at an insane time in the morning (thank you uncle Colin for toting that heavy bag for me ! ), I got to st pancras as the prescribed time of 1 hour before departure.

The eurostar is definitely nothing to write home about. There are seats, there are people, there are plugs. One thing to note is that it seems black people do not travel a lot. On each leg of my journey people either looked at me with slight amusement, confusion or wonder. Lol.

Black people. Get a suitcase. Go see something.

Anywhoser, I arrive in Paris and I have to take the RER D to gare du Lyon to catch my train to nimes. 3 bags, 1 very nice man who gave me directions, and my surprisingly decent french and I'm at the Gare du Lyon an hour before my connection.

Now comes the tricky part. Turn 3 bags into 2. SNCF...forcing people to turn gangster since 1930- something.
Apparently on the SNCF you can only have two bags. Not two bags and a personal back pack or purse, but two BAGS. And my recent sejourns at primarni (aka Primark) made this disappearing act seem dismal.

However , 30 minutes , a change of shoes and laying on my suitcase so it will close and I'm on my way to Nimes..first class baby !!! If I ever have a long haul to make, I'm definitely doing it first class. Peaceful, no stairs, large seats, close bathroom, luggage racks everywhere :)

So I arrive in Nimes and guess what. Marie Ange (who is my person to guide me ) isn't there. She said 5 pm..guess who comes rolling in at 5: 45 like a REAL trini  (not the punctual ones like myself). Anywhoser no love lost . She watered me (wine !! ) , fed me (love how the french do their courses) and packed me up in the flat that I'll be sharing with an Italian girl.  FYI there are 2 spare bedrooms! Visitors are welcome!

So all is well. There are grapes growing on my fence, the sun is shining and I had some macarons for breakfast from Marie Ange. I'm off to see Suzy from Martinique today so more feeding and watering ! :)

Day un !

No comments:

Post a Comment