Tuesday 24 September 2013

Where Hi 5's bank

So yesterday I was charged with the task of setting up a bank account.

All by my lonesome.

So there I was. Little old me, rambling around in the town of Nimes amongst people who did not speak a lick of English or thought they did (au contraire!).

From previous research, 2 banks seemed pretty easy to set up accounts with for language assistants as we need something cheap and something which does not require a whole lot of paperwork. The two winners were:

Crédit agricole
La Poste

La poste featured a welcome webpage in English as well as offered to sign you up without setting up an appointment.

La Poste won hands down.

So here we are at 2.15 pm as I sit in front of l'employée. Elle s'appelle Nadine. Et elle ne sais pas Anglais. Introduce me. I know about 20 proper french sentences. So here we go...

For an hour, amidst much gesticulation, hand shakes, writing on scraps of paper and eventually sharing hi5s when she found the correct English word and I found the correct french word, I got my bank account open.

Apparently La Poste is the slowest bank, but say what, it is the friendliest. I now have an open invitation to come on Mondays to chat with Nadine in English.

Atta girl .

To add to the upside, one of my newly discovered jazz singers is in town ! Gregory Porter ! (Thanks for the introduction uncle Colin ! ). So I'll definitely be hitting that on the 21st.

My schedule seems to be heating up. And not with work surprisingly.

I have a salsa class, a volleyball lesson , a cinema invitation, a bull fight the next day and this jazz fest all in the coming weeks.

I love you Nimes !

Tomorrow. Je vais voyager au Grau du Roi !

À jeudi!

Avec les photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment